Note: I use present-day names. Within each decade, things are not necessarily in chronological order.
1600: Population: 1,000?
- 1600s: The Delaware – for at least the last 1,000 years. Munsee language, Eastern Woodland culture.
- 1610s:Juan Rodriguez’s trading post, Dutch fort.
- 1620s:The Dutch: “Manhattan was sold for $24”. Black slaves.
- 1640s: Bowling Green Massacre (the real one); Kieft’s War drives the Delaware north out of Manhattan.
- 1650s: Free Blacks farm what is now Washington Square Park.
- 1660s:The British. New York English, yellow fever epidemic, the first of many.
1700: Population: 5,000.
- 1700s: 42% of households have slaves.
- 1710s: slave uprising, African Burial Ground now in use.
View original post 555 more words