Huffington Post Newsletter:
(And want to get The Morning Email each weekday? Sign up here.)
THE AFTERMATH OF THE UNITED INCIDENT The U.S. Department of Transportation is investigating United Airlines for the treatment of a passenger who was forcibly dragged from a plane because the flight was overbooked. You can watch the disturbing video of the incident. According to the United CEO, the passenger was “belligerent.” Read the full text of the controversial letter here. The internet erupted with calls for a boycott with the hashtag, #UnitedJourney and compared the airline to “Fight Club.” And here’s a reminder: If an airline bumps you, they are supposed to pay you. [HuffPost]
TRUMP ON TRACK TO OUTSPEND OBAMA’S ENTIRE TRAVEL BUDGET IN ONE YEAR “President Donald Trump has spent 21 days of his 80-day presidency at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, at an estimated cost of $21.6 million in travel and security expenses, CNN reported. In contrast, Obama spent a total of just under $97 million during his entire presidency.” [HuffPost]
ALABAMA GOVERNOR RESIGNS And pled guilty to two counts of violating campaign finance rules in a plea deal to avoid impeachment. [HuffPost]
2 ADULTS, 1 CHILD DEAD AFTER MURDER-SUICIDE AT SAN BERNARDINO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL A second child has been injured but is expected to recover. [HuffPost]
NEIL GORSUCH OFFICIALLY SWORN IN AS AMERICA’S 113th SUPREME COURT JUSTICE The 49-year-old will likely be on the bench for decades. [HuffPost]
BREAKING DOWN THIS YEAR’S PULITZER AWARDS While The New York Times took home the most awards, The Washington Post reporter who won the award for national reporting was the one Trump called a “nasty guy.” [HuffPost]
BAD NEWS, FREQUENT FLIERS Climate change is making air turbulence worse. [HuffPost]
PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE ROYAL CUTENESS Of Prince George and Princess Charlotte as a page and bridesmaid. [HuffPost]
HEADS UP, YUPPIES Whole Foods could be headed for a potential sale. [WSJ | Paywall]
HERE ARE THE 2 OVERLOOKED BLACK ICONS THE AUTHOR OF ‘HIDDEN FIGURES’ IS SPOTLIGHTING NEXT As part of a two-part book deal. [HuffPost]
JAY Z REMINDED US ALL THAT TIDAL EXISTS By pulling his songs on Spotify. Our boxing playlist will no longer be the same. [HuffPost]
BEFORE YOU GO
- The Anti-Defamation League says Jared Kushner is being targeted by anti-Semites online.
- Mariah Carey’s latest romance has ended because of the specter of her ex-husband, Nick Cannon.
- While this woman survived a Black Mamba snakebite, many snakebite victims in Africa don’t get the treatment they need. Here’s why.
- Yes, finding a bat in your prepackaged salad qualifies for a recall of Fresh Express’ Organic Marketside Spring Mix.
- Of course Ford made a crib that mimics the soothing nature of sleep-inducing car rides.
- A tweet for free chicken nuggets could become the most retweeted in history ― which is either horrible or brilliant depending on how you look at it.
- The presidential election determined by a coin toss.
- Inside the rise of “wrongful life” lawsuits.
- Libraries across the country are reporting record waitlists to check out “The Handmaid’s Tale,” Margaret Atwood’s work of dystopian future that feels “all too real.”
- When sweat and bacteria is turned into art.
- And in praise of Shoshanna, who has risen above all the rest of the “Girls.”