By Lauren Weber
Wednesday, April 12
THE ‘GEOPOLITICAL WHIPLASH’ OVER TRUMP’S POSITION ON RUSSIA A look at how rapidly Russian relations have changed over the past week. And U.S. officials are accusing Russia of trying to cover up the sarin gas attack, while Russia’s foreign minister warned Secretary of State Rex Tillerson not to strike the Syrian regime again. [NYT]
THE FBI HAD A FISA WARRANT FOR TRUMP ADVISER CARTER PAGE “The FBI obtained a secret court order last summer to monitor the communications of an adviser to presidential candidate Donald Trump, part of an investigation into possible links between Russia and the campaign, law enforcement and other U.S. officials said.” [WaPo]
YES, SEAN SPICER DID CLAIM HITLER NEVER USED CHEMICAL WEAPONS As a reminder, the Nazis gassed millions in concentration camps. Here’s a second-by-second breakdown of how this press conference unfolded, as well as an excellent live reaction shot from White House correspondent April Ryan. The press secretary has since apologized. [HuffPost]
BILL O’REILLY ANNOUNCED VACATION PLANS Amid news he may not have a job when he returns. [HuffPost]
WHY EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THAT CLOSE KANSAS SPECIAL ELECTION And what it means for the midterms. [HuffPost]
OUTRAGE GROWS OVER ALLEGED GAY ‘CONCENTRATION CAMPS’ IN CHECHNYA “In our Chechen society, any person who respects our traditions and culture will hunt down this kind of person without any help from authorities, and do everything to make sure that this kind of person does not exist in our society.” [HuffPost]
IF THIS TRUMP QUOTE DOESN’T SOUND LIKE HIM THROWING STEVE BANNON UNDER THE BUS We don’t know what does. [HuffPost
‘THE DANGER OF BEING TOO GOOD AT YOUR JOB’ Welcome to “talent-hoarding.” [WSJ | Paywall]
EVERY IKEA SHOULD HAVE THIS ‘RELATIONSHIP SAVING STATION’ Just genius. [BuzzFeed]
MEET ‘THE DAILY SHOW’ CORRESPONDENT HEADLINING THE WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS DINNER Comedian Hasan Minhaj is known for his role as the the so-called “Muslim correspondent” on “The Daily Show.” [HuffPost]
EVEN LUDACRIS IS LAUGHING AT HOW LUDICROUS HIS CGI ABS ARE Sorry, had to with that pun. And yes, apparently CGI abs are a thing. [HuffPost]
WAIT, ‘LOST’ WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A VOLCANO? What? [HuffPost]
MICHELLE OBAMA’S PADDLEBOARDING VACATION PICTURES ARE BEYOND IMPRESSIVE Considering our attempts to master that skill ended up with us looking like a beached whale last month. [HuffPost]
- China’s president called Trump to discuss the situation in North Korea.
- CNN is reporting that members of Congress have reviewed the documents Devin Nunes publicized and concluded the Obama administration did nothing illegal.
- A top German soccer team was hit with explosives before its scheduled Champions League match.
- A history of United Airlines’ scandals through the years.
- Of course Ryan Reynolds played this Marvin Gaye song while Blake Lively was giving birth.
- No, Cosmo, it’s not a good idea to credit cancer for weight loss.
- Turns out the 2016 election ruined the original endgame for “Scandal.”
- The song track list for “Friends! The Musical!” is everything we have ever wanted.
- Mitt Romney’s “binders full of women” have been found.
- The devastating cycle of sleeping less as you age.
- Feel like the news is overwhelming? You’re apparently in the minority.
- When you send a helicopter to catch a candy thief — no really, they did that in Canada.
- We’re with Deadspin — this video of particularly savage baseball moments hit the spot after two nights of Cardinals losses. Here’s to hoping today’s game at the ballpark goes better.
- The internet is abuzz over Ivanka Trump’s changing eye color.
- Another executive bites the dust at Uber.
- Happy Wednesday: Meet the Parkour goats.
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most — all with a dash of signature Morning Email snark.
Like The Morning Email? Send it to a friend! Does somebody keep forwarding you this newsletter? Get your own copy. It’s free! Sign up here.
©2017 The Huffington Post | 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003