From The Huffington Post.Com;
By Lauren Weber
Thursday, April 13
NORTH KOREA COULD BE PREPARING SIXTH NUCLEAR TEST “New satellite images suggest that North Korea might soon conduct another underground detonation in its effort to learn how to make nuclear arms — its sixth explosive test in a decade and perhaps its most powerful yet.” The Prime Minister of Japan warned that North Korea might have the capability to arm missiles with sarin. [NYT]
TRUMP’S FORMER CAMPAIGN MANAGER PAUL MANAFORT TO REGISTER AS A FOREIGN AGENT Amid reports from the AP about Ukrainian payouts to Manafort’s consulting firm, as well as news from The New York Times about loans Manafort received from companies with Trump ties the day he stepped down from the campaign. [HuffPost]
THINGS ARE LOOKING WORSE FOR WHITE HOUSE STRATEGIST STEVE BANNON After another interview where the president downplayed Bannon’s role. And when The Washington Post has headlines about you that say “From ‘Shadow President’ To Trump’s Marked Man,” odds are you are having a bad week. [HuffPost]
TRUMP MOVING TO INCREASING U.S. ROLE IN YEMEN “The Trump administration is slowly ramping up support to a Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed militants, according to government sources, advocates and analysts. In the weeks ahead, they believe, Trump will approve a major transfer of bombs to Saudi Arabia, and may greenlight a coalition assault on Hodeidah, an essential port for food imports.” [HuffPost]
MORE BAD NEWS FOR UNITED AIRLINES New video has emerged of David Dao calmly saying he wanted to remain on the plane before being forcibly dragged off. Dao has already started legal proceedings against United. And this mom is speaking out about her charges that a man groped her on a United flight while flight attendants kept serving him whiskeys. [HuffPost]
NEW YORK MOURNS TRAILBLAZING JUGE Justice Sheila Abdus-Salaam, the first African-American woman and Muslim to serve on the highest court in New York, was found dead on the shore of the Hudson River. [HuffPost]
WIN TICKETS TO TECHCRUNCH DISRUPT IN NYC Want to know everything there is to know about tech? We got you. We teamed up with Product Hunt and friends to give one lucky person the chance to win a trip to NYC, two tickets to TechCrunch Disrupt, a private chef-led tasting dinner and a one-year subscription to Mogul courses. [HuffPost]
IT WOULD APPEAR THAT ‘MORNING JOE’ HOSTS JOE SCARBOROUGH AND MIKA BRZEZINSKI ARE OFFICIAL Based on this comments about their pets co-mingling. [The Hollywood Reporter]
WHY CAITLYN JENNER SAYS SHE HAD GENDER REASSIGNMENT SURGERY “And why it’s really none of our business in the first place.” [HuffPost]
MEET THE NEW DUMBLEDORE We cannot wait for Jude Law to give us the backstory for the world’s best headmaster. [HuffPost]
TV ADS ARE NOW SPEAKING TO YOUR SMART DEVICES Nothing is safe. [HuffPost]
- It was quite the icy meeting for Secretary of State Rex Tillerson with Russian President Vladimir Putin amid growing tensions over Syria.
- ICE is only about to get more powerful.
- The pitfalls of having college athletes using wearable technology to track their every move.
- Heidi and Spencer of “The Hills” fame are welcoming a child into this world. Yes, that is happening.
- Orlando Bloom opened up about his split from Katy Perry and those nude paddleboarding photos.
- Hold onto those glasses of white wine: The “Big Little Lies” author is already dreaming up ideas for a season two.
- Stephen Colbert knows how to treat his staff right — with pizza parties every week they beat late night leader Jimmy Fallon.
- USDA has removed cyanide-spewing traps from Idaho.
- The Daily Mail has settled with Melania Trump over a modeling story.
- The Wall Street “Charging Bull” sculptor is not a fan of “Fearless Girl.”
- This coffee table with a built-in fridge would enable so many Netflix binges.
- The showrunners of “Scandal,” “Veep,” “House of Cards” and “Madame Secretary” talk writing TV in the Trump era.
- And you now have less of an excuse to avoid lacing up those tennis shoes: An hour of running can add seven hours to your life.
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most — all with a dash of signature Morning Email snark.
Like The Morning Email? Send it to a friend! Does somebody keep forwarding you this newsletter? Get your own copy. It’s free! Sign up here.
©2017 The Huffington Post | 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003