Last night’s dinner was one that made me go, “Wow, this is not so bad after all”. Haha! I know, how interesting right? Well, as many of you may know by now, I’ve been going great on my Vegetarian diet and it’s almost been a month! Yay!
Anyway, although I’ve been keeping up with it, I must say that the temptation has been very upfront and center; and there are moments when I find myself feeling like I want to give up because I’m so use to eating meat (especially Chicken, which has been my ultimate favorite since childhood).
However, I’ve managed to keep going and last night’s dinner gave me hope that It’s going to be OK. I made Spaghetti (wheat by the way) with Zucchini. Personally, I’ve never tried Zucchini before going on this diet and I was rather surprised by how great it tastes. Now, at first glance it does look like a very big cucumber and it even looks more like one once you peel and slice it, however, it’s not slime-y and it holds up pretty nicely when cooked (even in sauces). I truly enjoyed it as a substitute for meatballs and by adding a few more veggies like spinach, bell peppers and onions, I was able to create a bit more texture and flavor to the dish.
YUM ALL AROUND!
This dish, I might add, is super easy and only took about 30 minutes (or less) completely. It’s definitely a great dish to make on your busy day after work or after a day filled with chores (or Mommy duties). You can find the recipe below if you decide to give it a GO and always, remember that you can make your own personal tweaks to fulfill your tastebuds.
SPAGHETTI + ZUCCHINI RECIPE
Serving size: 3-4
Total cook time: 30 minutes (approximately)
Prep Time: 10 minutes (roughly)
- Two (15oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 package of wheat Spaghetti (or regular spaghetti, if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 onion, chopped (I used a yellow onion)
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- pinch of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar (**Secret ingredient**)
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Lettuce (for a salad, if preferred)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat and add the zucchini, onions and red bell pepper and season with salt, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, dried parsley, and cook until the veggies are slightly softened (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add tomato sauce and vegetable stock while mixing until well combined. Then add spinach and let simmer for 5-10 minutes until spinach is wilted and sauce becomes bubbly. Add sugar and stir fully until incorporated well.
- Let continue to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- In a large pot, cook spaghetti as instructed on package and drain.
- Once veggies look softened in sauce, remove from heat and serve.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired and a side of salad.
- Bon Appetit!
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED ZUCCHINI? IF SO, ANY FAVORITE WAYS OF COOKING IT? BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING YA’LL.
ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES FOR MORE EXCLUSIVE FUN + INSPIRATION.