- 456 – Remistus, Roman general (magister militum), is besieged by a Gothic force at Ravenna and later executed in the Palace in Classis, outside the city.
- 1111 – Highest Galician nobility led by Pedro Fróilaz de Traba and the bishop Diego Gelmírez crown Alfonso VII as “King of Galicia”.
- 1176 – The Battle of Myriokephalon is fought between the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuk Turks.
- 1382 – Louis the Great’s daughter, Mary, is crowned “king” of Hungary.
- 1462 – The Battle of Świecino (also known as the Battle of Żarnowiec) is fought during Thirteen Years’ War.
- 1577 – The Treaty of Bergerac is signed between Henry III of France and the Huguenots.
- 1620 – The Battle of Cecora (1620) is fought between the Ottoman Empire and the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth during the Polish–Ottoman War (1620–21).
- 1630 – The city of Boston, Massachusetts is founded.
- 1631 – Sweden wins a major victory at the Battle of Breitenfeld against the Holy Roman Empire during the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1658 – The Battle of Vilanova is fought between the Portugal and Spain during the Portuguese Restoration War.
- 1683 – Antonie van Leeuwenhoek writes a letter to the Royal Society describing “animalcules”: the first known description of protozoa.
- 1775 – American Revolutionary War: The Invasion…
View original post 735 more words